Sunday, February 27, 2011

Garlic Shrimp and Pear Salad

Tonight's dinner is Garlic Shrimp with a Salad featuring Pear and Pecans.  It was very delicious and just the right thing when you are feeling a little tired but want to have something to eat before the Oscars start!


The shrimp is incredibly quick to cook so make sure you have everything ready to go before you start and your salad is made.   Peel and devein your shrimp first.  I do about a dozen each.  It took me about 45 minutes to make this dinner but I'm a little obsessive compulsive about cleaning shrimp so it might not take you as long. You also need butter (and there's nothing wrong with that!), wine, garlic, parsley, paprika and salt and pepper.  I chop up 4 cloves of  garlic and about 4 Tbsp of parsley.


But before anything else, make your salad!  Start with lettuce, pear, sliced red onion, olive oil, lemon, honey, garlic and mustard.


Toast some pecans and while you are keeping an eye on them, you can get your lettuce ready.


You start by squeezing the juice of one lemon into your serving bowl.  This how I always make my salads that include pear or apple as they brown so easily after being sliced.  Into the juice, I add my sliced pear and toss to coat.  I then add the rest of my dressing ingredients - a large spoon each of honey and grainy mustard and one small garlic clove minced...


I stir it all together with my tiny whisk.  This one is made by Nigella Lawson and is one of my fav kitchen tools.  I then add the onions and nuts and give it a stir.  I put the lettuce on top but didn't toss until I was serving.  I used Boston lettuce and it is so tender that it will wilt if you mix it too early.

Now the shrimp (using the same pan I toasted the nuts in), I add a couple of Tbsp of butter and then add the shrimp with salt and pepper.


 Once it is pink on one side, turn them over and add the garlic and parsley.  Cook for a minute or two until the garlic starts to lightly brown, stirring gently.



Then add a heaping Tbsp of paprika to the pan and stir quickly to mix.  Add about a half a cup of white wine and stir quickly to make a sauce.


PLATE - SERVE - ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment