Sunday, March 6, 2011

Apple Upside Down Cake


I made my sister Connie's Apple Upside Down Cake this afternoon.  Smelled so good that we decided to have our dessert before we had dinner, haha (guess we are having a late dinner tonight).

1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c melted butter
2 cups of fruit (sliced apples, blueberries, etc but I think apple is the best)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 c butter
3/4 c white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 and 1/3 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9 inch square cake pan, mix melted butter and brown sugar and spread evenly over the bottom.


Cream butter in your Kitchenaid mixer (and if you don't have one, you absolutely need to buy one!) and add sugar.



Beat in an egg and vanilla.  (Looks kinda gross, doesn't it?)



Now the recipe says to mix all the dry ingredients together and add them to the butter mixture alternately with milk.  I'm sure there is a very good reason for doing this but I'm a very lazy baker.  This is why a Kitchenaid is so necessary - its magic seems to make everything turn out alright.  Even when I just dump all the dry ingredients in to the bowl at once...


...and then add all the milk at once.

Next I peel and slice two apples and toss them with the lemon juice so they don't brown and layer them over the bottom of the cake pan.


I pour the batter over the apples and spread evenly before baking for 45 minutes (or until done).


When it comes out and cools a little, I flipped it over on a plate and we just couldn't resist.........

No comments:

Post a Comment