Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ham and Cheese Quiche


Tonight's dinner was quiche and salad. I thought I'd give you my basic recipe for quiche. Then you can change ingredients to make any style of quiche you like. I often use a quiche to make an easy supper and use up leftover ingredients from my fridge.



Shopping list...

5-6 eggs
2 Tbsp cream
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup grated cheese
2 Tbsp finely chopped sweet onion
3-4 sliced mushrooms
4-5 Tbsp of diced ham
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 pie shell

Whisk the eggs and cream and mustard together til smooth and frothy. Stir in grated cheddar cheese, onion, mushrooms, ham and dill. Pour into a prepared pie shell. I haven't mastered pastry making yet. I'm sure you'll see my attempts at that soon through this blog. If you can't make pastry, I'd advise you to buy a prepared shell at the grocery store or like me, you could ask your Mom to make it! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake the quiche 25 to 30 minutes. The centre needs to be firm and the top browned. If the pastry is getting too brown before the filling bakes through, put some foil over the edge of pastry.


I served the quiche with crispy watercress, dressed with my mango vinegar dressing. The eggs, cream and mustard are always constants but you can change the type of cheese (mozzarella, Gouda, Jack, etc) and the type of meat (cooked bacon, salmon, shrimp) and vegetables (green onions, tomato slices, partially cooked asparagus, spinach, etc) and herbs (parsley, savoury, basil, etc). Try different combinations - use up leftovers from the fridge and experiment - you'll be surprised how good it tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment