Monday, July 18, 2011

Apple Streusel Crisp



A little dessert prompted by the birds!  I picked a pint of black raspberries in the garden.  I didn't plant them but obviously the birds did!

I decided I would make my version of apple crisp and add the raspberries.  A simple comforting dessert.

Ingredients are:
4 apples, peeled and sliced
a pint of black raspberries
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup oats
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of slivered almonds
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup margarine



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter (grease or spray) a casserole dish.  In a bowl, mix flour, oats, sugar, almonds, spices and honey together.  Dice up a 1/4 cup of margarine into small squares.  Stir into the topping mix and then use your fingers to blend it together.


I spread the apple slices in the bottom of the casserole dish and then I topped it with my raspberries.  However, you don't need the raspberries and you can substitute blueberries, peaches or any fruit that bakes well for the apples.  Now I used what was in the fridge but normally I would use only one type of apple.  Choose one that is good for baking.  My first choice is MacIntosh but this time of year - you can't get nice ones.


Add the topping.  I had about 50% of the topping left over so I froze it in a bag and I'll do a small apple crisp another day.  Bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes until a knife inserts easily so you know the apples are soft.  If you are using a softer fruit like peaches or blueberries, you might want to check it at 30 minutes to see if it's ready.

Then the finished product......................

No comments:

Post a Comment