Monday, July 25, 2011

Braised Goat


It was Caribbean night at my sister's pool yesterday.  Rum punch in my glass and Bob Marley on the stereo.....a wonderful day.  I braised some goat meat for dinner.  It was great!

I used about 4 lbs of goat meat - loin and shoulder chops and marinated them for 24 hours.  The marinade was the juice of one lemon, a cup of white wine, 3 hot chilies diced, 4 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, 5 cloves of garlic minced and 1Tbsp of dried oregano.


I diced a sweet onion and cooked it til softened in some olive oil.  I then scooped it out of the pot and browned the goat in a little oil.  I used a Dutch oven and needed to brown it in batches.  Once it was browned, I poured a little of the marinade into the pan to deglaze the lovely brown bits on the bottom.  The meat and onions are then added back to the pot with the rest of  the marinade. Salt and pepper to taste. I simmered it for a few hours but it really needed only a couple. This is nice served with some plain rice.  A little island spice added to the dinner menu - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment