Saturday, July 2, 2011

Garlic Scapes - First Harvest from my Vegetable Garden


An odd delicacy that I discovered at the Farmer's Market a couple of years ago.  I was never really sure what to do with them but I love garlic and the look of them is so intriguing.  Last fall, I planted some garlic bulbs that I got from my friend, Nancy.  They are up and covered in scapes so I got on the internet last night to look for a pesto recipe.  My sister, Connie bought some at the market this week and BBQ'd them with potatoes and butter for dinner last night.  They were excellent.


In a food processor, grind up 1/3 cup almonds, 1 cup of scapes, and 1/4 cup olive oil.  Cut the bud off the stem and remove the toughest part of the bottom of the stem.  Then cut into 1 inch pieces.



Add 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and grind it to a paste.  Add a 1/4 tsp sea salt and while, the processor is running, drizzle a 1/4 cup of olive oil through the feed tube.  It will make a thick paste that I am freezing in cubes  (please don't use your regular ice cube tray or you will curse me every time you have a drink - go to the buck store and get a tray you will only use for freezing herbs, tomato paste, etc).  I will then thaw a couple and add 2 or 3 Tbsp of olive oil to make a great pasta sauce.  This is what we had for lunch today and it was wonderful.  So aromatic but just a mild, sweet garlicky flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment