Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Helen's Tuna Casserole


I'm on holidays right now and the living is easy.  It's not really the time for spending a lot of time in the kitchen but today I decided to make my Mom's Tuna Casserole.  I know we are in the middle of a heatwave but the air conditioner is on and my new stove doesn't heat up the kitchen when the oven is on.

Ingredients

4 cups of dry egg noodles
1 can of mushroom soup (Campbells)
Milk
Can of tuna, drained
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup diced onion
1 cup of peas
Chips




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Boil salted water to cook your noodles.  By the time your noodles are cooked, you'll have everything else ready to go.  Chop up your onions.  In a large bowl, empty your can of soup and add milk to it (1/3 to 1/2 of the can filled with milk).  I used 1/3 of the can because I like my casserole just creamy but not really wet. Whisk the soup and milk together, add salt and pepper to taste, onions, one cup of cheese, a can of drained tuna and a cup of peas.  I usually use frozen peas for this recipe but today I had fresh peas from the garden.  They were scrumptious and added so much flavour to the casserole.  You can also add some fresh herbs - parsley or dill would be especially nice but my Mom prefers it plain.  Stir the mixture together, breaking up the tuna.


Drain your pasta when it is al dente and add it to the bowl.  Stir to combine and pour into a greased casserole dish.  Top with about half (or a little less) a bag of crumbled potato chips and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.  Bake for 45 minutes until it is browned and bubbly and hot.  I put a lid on it for the first 20  minutes and then take it off to brown.   Enjoy a tasty dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment