Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes




This is my family recipe for scalloped potatoes.   I've been making this since I was a teenager (35 years now - wow time flies!).  This is going to be the second recipe that uses canned soup and while I promise you that I am not one of those "open a can of soup" cooks - this recipe is worth making.

You need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use some non-stick spray on a casserole dish.


3 large (or 6 smaller) potatoes
onion
can of mushroom soup
1/4 cup milk
cheddar cheese (about a cup and half grated)
seasoning

Usually I peel the potatoes but today I'm using new crop potatoes with thin skins so I just scrubbed them and sliced them thinly (one cm thick).  I chopped up about half a cup of sweet onion.  You can also layer thinly sliced mushrooms if you like.  Put the can of soup into a bowl or measuring cup - add about a quarter cup of milk and stir.  You want a fairly thick sauce-like consistency - you might want to add a little bit more milk.


Spread a few tablespoons of soup over the bottom of the casserole dish and start by layering potatoes.


After the potatoes, add half of the onions - then salt and pepper and a sprinkle of dried herbs - I used savoury but parsley or dill or thyme would be nice  You could also use fresh herbs but in a casserole like this that bakes for a long time, I find the dried herbs are just fine.  Next another layer of potatoes, a few tablespoons of soup and half of the cheese.  Another layer of potatoes, then onions and seasoning.  Finally a last layer of potatoes, a few more tablespoons of soup and the rest of  the cheese spread over the top.  Don't worry if you don't use all the soup mixture.  I only do when I use a big casserole.


I bake for half of the time with a lid on and then take it off for the end.  Usually it takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook through.  I find that the newer the crop of potatoes - the longer it takes to bake.  Stick a knife in to check periodically.  When it goes in easily, you know the potatoes are tender and ready to serve.  They can be held easily in the oven for a time.  Give this recipe a try and I think it will become one of your family favourites too.  It's a good dish for a potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment