Monday, September 5, 2011

Frittata


Tonight's dinner was a frittata.  This one of those standby recipes for nights that I don't feel like cooking.  I turn the oven onto broil to heat up.  If you don't have a broiler, you could bake it at 400 degrees but it will take longer to cook.  I use a fry pan (cast iron or metal) that is oven-proof.


I start by cooking a couple of sausages in a little oil.  These were from Flannigan's in Lakefield and were flavoured with sun-dried tomatoes.  They were excellent.  I always use eggs, cheese, cream, potato and onion but the other vegetables and herbs vary depending upon what's in the fridge.  Next I peeled and finely cubed a red potato.  Once the sausages were browned, I took them out and cut them in chunks while I started to cook the potato.  Once the potato started to brown, I added the sausage back in.
Next I chopped up a couple of tablespoons of onion, half a red pepper and 5 mushrooms.  Once the potato started to soften, I added the other vegetables in.


While they cooked a little, I broke 6 eggs into a bowl and whisked them with a 1/4 cup of cream, 1/2 cup of cheese and chopped dill and parsley.  Season with salt and pepper and pour into the pan.  Gently cook until the bottom sets.  Then sprinkle another 1/2 cup cheese on top and put it under the broiler.  It took about 10 minutes to set and be puffed and browned on top.


I served it with some cherry tomatoes, coleslaw and salmon pasta salad.  It was a satisfying, simple supper for my Labour Day.  The summer is over and fall starts now with back to school and work...

No comments:

Post a Comment