Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cinnamon Buns


Today is my mum's birthday and I made some cinnamon buns for a treat.  I also took a few to my neighbour, Doug who was sweet enough to notice that my front steps needed repaired and volunteered to do the job.  I'm lucky to have so many nice friends and family members.

I'm trying to improve my health so I trimmed the fat and sugar in this recipe.  I found I actually liked the pared down version better.

Ingredients

1/4 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of butter
1 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of warm water
1 Tbsp of yeast
2 eggs
4 cups of all-purpose flour

Filling
1/4 cup of butter
3/4 cup of  brown sugar
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1 Tbsp of cinnamon

Start by heating the milk, butter, white sugar and salt in a small saucepan.  Once butter has melted, take off the heat and cool.


Proof your yeast - mix warm water, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar.  Once it starts to bubble, you're ready.


Stir the eggs into the milk mixture (make sure it's cool or you have scrambled eggs!).  Add to the yeast with 4 cups of flour.  I used my Kitchenaid - otherwise, you will need to knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.


Place a teaspoon of oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough around and cover with a clean teatowel.  It will need to rise in a warm place until doubled (about an hour and a half).


Melt the butter.  Roll the dough out to a 16 by 16 square.  Cut in half and brush a little butter on top.  Stir half the brown sugar into the melted butter and mix the other half with the cinnamon.  


Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture on top of the dough.  


You can either sprinkle the nuts on top of the dough or on top of the syrup.  This time, I put the nuts in the topping.  Spray the rectangular cake pan with non-stick spray and spread the syrup mixture over the bottom.


















Roll up the dough.
Cut into 2 inch slices.
Arrange in pan.
Cover with towel.
Let rise 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Invert on a large platter or cookie sheet.






Voila and Bon Appetit!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment