Monday, June 18, 2012

Day One Week Two or Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Hi all - it was my turn to host Monday afternoon of Rummy-Cube.  The menu was pretty simple - pork rice paper rolls, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, Pop chips and grapes.  We drank red wine sangria and I also had some diet ginger ale.

I served Boursin cheese with Mary's crackers.  Oh, I said I'd show you the box...


I was good and only had one cracker with cheese today...

I did however have a couple  of small glasses of sangria.  People seem the like my recipe although it isn't traditional.  I've never really found a recipe I like so I made up my own..

1 bottle of red or white wine
1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar
tray of ice cubes
assorted fruit slices

Stir the sugar into the wine, add a tray of ice and spoon some fruit into the wine.  Today I used blueberries, blackberries, slices of white nectarine and half a sliced lime.  I find grapes, any berries and citrus slices are nice too.


We also had veggies and fresh herb dip.  For the dip, I mixed 2 large spoons of light sour cream and 1 1/2 large spoons of light mayo together and added 4 or 5 Tbsp of finely chopped herbs from the garden.  I used a lot of dill (my favourite), parsley, chives and thyme but it varies depending on what's fresh.


We started today with the Pork Rice Paper Rolls.  You can make vegetarian ones or use any meat you like.  I usually make them with cooked shrimp...

Take a pound of pork and brown it. Add salt and pepper and a few flakes of hot chili pepper.  Once it is mostly browned, add about half a cup of diced onion and about a "finger" of diced ginger.  Continue cooking until the onion softens and then add about a cup of shredded cabbage.


Once it is cooked, add 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 2 Tbsp of sherry and 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and stir and simmer until the liquid is absorbed by the meat.  After you take it off the heat, squeeze half a lime into the meat mixture.  When you are assembling the rolls, you can warm up the meat mixture so it is just warm again.  Therefore, you can prepare to this stage and refrigerate.

Next you need to decide which vegetables you would like to julienne for the rolls.  I sliced red peppers, carrots, cucumber and green onion.  In the past, I have used Savoy cabbage, bean sprouts, celery but use any veg you like.

To assemble the rolls...

Put rice paper in a bowl of warm water until it softens...


Then lay it on a clean tea towel, spoon meat onto bottom third of paper and top with vegetables of your choice.  Lift the bottom over the filling, tuck the sides on top and roll up as tightly as you can without tearing the roll.



Cut the roll in half and serve with the dipping sauce of your choice.  I used basic plum sauce today but there are lots of possibilities.



Enjoy,

Julie

Oh BTW I was too full for dinner so I just had another spring roll and a little fruit for dinner. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment